Thursday, February 17, 2011

The broader issues raised by the Genpo Roshi controversy

Friends:

I have refrained from directly commenting on recent events surrounding Genpo Roshi's separation from the White Plum Asanga, an affinity group for teachers in the lineage of Maezumi Roshi, and his "disrobing" as a Zen teacher.  I am a member of the Board of the White Plum Asanga and do not think it appropriate for me to speak out here on this matter.  Instead, I have put my energy into working with the Board in its effort to help all those affected navigate these difficult waters.  It has been both emotionally challenging and extraordinarily time consuming.

Recently, I came upon a blog of another Zen teacher whom I do not know personally but who appears to have taken a considered approach to the matter.  In a recent post he reflects on the larger issues that this controversy presents for American Zen in specific, and Zen in general.  I encourage you to read it.  It is entitled "A Little About Genpo, Zen Teachers, and Sex."  http://www.wildfoxzen.blogspot.com/  The issues discussed are ones that every conscious sangha should consider calmly and reflectively, without excessive piety but with eyes wide open to the problems to which our practice can give rise. 

Warmly,

Mugaku

No comments:

Post a Comment